I loved growing up in the 80s and 90s. I was born in 1981 so I saw out the entirety of my teens in the 90s and I had an absolute blast! So here’s one for my fellow 90s teens (mainly the girls, sorry boys).
- Your standard look was a ‘uniform’ of black knee high boots, black leggings and a denim shirt (I couldn’t bring myself to buy one when they saw a revival recently).
- You owned a pair of Dr Martens and referred to them as DM’s. (I once went to a club in my DM’s – paired with a long dress, what on earth was I thinking?)
- You wore so much eyeliner you would wake in the morning and quite easily pass as a panda.
- Heather shimmer by Rimmel was your lipstick of choice. If you wanted to be a bit different you’d go for its darker cousin Coffee shimmer.
- You used ‘Sun in’ on your hair – didn’t you just love that yellow as straw look? Or maybe you were a Wella Shaders and Toners kinda girl.
- You owned at least one choker. You probably attempted to cover your love bites with it too…..
- And probably a collection of rings – your boyfriends sovereign which you wore on your thumb, a claddagh and no doubt also a mood ring.
- You had a necklace with 25 pesetas on it from your trip to Spain with your parents. Where you probably fell in love with a local boy, or fellow holiday maker, crying at the end of your summer romance because you were of course utterly heartbroken and unable to carry on without him. But that’s ok as you fell into the arms of the next unsuspecting Cool Water wearing, XR2 driving spotty faced youth to cross your path the moment you got home.
- You owned at least one bodysuit. Even just thinking about those poppers on the crotch bring back horrific memories!
- Satin shirts were the height of fashion.
- As were perms. (I avoided that one thankfully, no poodle pics for me)
- Your hair idol was Rachel from Friends
- You wore a slip dress with a tight tshirt underneath it
- You rocked a knee high socks/mini skirt combo – we have Cher from Clueless to thank for that one
- A belly button piercing was the most coveted accessory like ever! It looked so cool shown off in little crop tops – until it got infected.
- You put concealer on every single day, despite barely evening knowing what an eye bag was! (these days I need the expensive stuff and lots of it!)
- CK One was the ultimate perfume to own. If you couldn’t get your hands on it White Musk from the Body Shop would have to do. And you absolutely reeked of Impulse sprays (cleverly used to disguise the smell of cigarette smoke – or so you thought)
- You could have a great night out on about a tenner, including a small bottle of vodka, 10 B&H, a burger and a cab home. HOW?
- You had a tendency to hide your ‘going out’ clothes in your sleepover bag and sneak out with your mates the minute your mum dropped you off.
- If you missed your curfew, there were no ‘home now’ texts, you were faced with an irate parent, probably in their slippers for added embarrassment, coming to hunt you down. (Yep happened to me on many an occasion)
- Mizz, Just 17 and Bliss were your mags of choice. More was the holy grail of teen magazines and you regularly wondered how the hell you could achieve the sex goddess status it would take to fulfil the vast majority of the ‘positions of the fortnight’.
- If you wanted to make a ‘private call’ your only option was to grab a handful of change and head to the phone box. Unless your parents were seriously loaded there were no mobiles for teens of the 90s.
- If you were lucky enough to have the internet at home you’d be yelled at to disconnect it whenever your parents wanted to use the phone. And who can forget that horrific wailing noise it made as it tried to connect?
- You thought MSN messenger was the ultimate in cool and you and your friends thought winding up randy blokes in chat rooms was hysterical.
- Your school hymn book was plastered with pictures of River Phoenix, Malcolm from Mizz, Will Wheaton, Keanu Reeves and Take That. As were your walls.
- You passed around a well-thumbed copy of Forever by Judy Blume. Remember ‘Ralph’?
- You had regular skirt length inspections. Usually involving kneeling on the floor while a teacher measured how many cm it was above your knees. Once that was over you promptly rolled the waistline back up again.
- Jared Leto from ‘My So Called Life’ (and had a girl crush on Claire Danes too).
- You knew all the words to every song on the Jagged Little Pill album by Alanis Morisette (am I the only one who still does?)
- And all the words to the films Clueless and Stand By Me off by heart.
- You had a walkman. If you were really cool you had a Discman
- You recorded the chart show onto cassettes to avoid paying for the latest hits.
- Bands or jungle? I was a jungle girl myself, although listening to some of it now I understand why my mum called it a ‘noise’. Here’s a catchier tune from 1996 that isn’t quite as heavy. Remember this?
- PJ and Duncan is how you first knew Ant and Dec and you sobbed when PJ was blinded in a freak paintballing accident.
- Neil Patrick Harris (Barney from How I Met Your Mother) will forever be Doogie Howser M.D
- Saved By the Bell was the ultimate in weekend morning tv
What else do you remember?