>The new Slimming World magazine came out the other day. (one of the only good things for subscribing to the online SW weigh ins rather than the class is I got a years worth of the mags included in the subscription) It’s packed full of the usual inspirational weight loss stories and loads of yummy looking recipes. With the cupboards looking pretty bare at the moment, I found I had almost all the ingredients needed to make the beef stroganoff, so here’s the recipe if you fancy making it too:
1 large onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1lb 2oz/511g beef steak cut into strips
2 tbsp paprika, plus extra to garnish
Salt and pepper
9oz/255g chestnut mushrooms, halved
2tbsp white wine vinegar
7fl oz/198ml beef stock
250g pot far free natural fromage frais
1. Spray a large frying pan with fry light and place over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry until softened.
2. Meanwhile, place the beef in a bowl, add the paprika and salt and pepper and toss until coated.
3. Add to the pan, turn up the heat and stir fry for 3 – 4 mins until browned,
4. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 2 mins.
5. Pour the beef stock and vinegar into the pan and bring to the boil.
6. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 – 6 mins.
7. Remove from the heat and spoon over half the fromage frais and sprinkle with the paprika.
8. Serve with more fromage frais and paprika on the side.
Well as you can tell from the picture, this was steaming hot when I served it! I didn’t find it as flavour packed as Id expected so added a tin of chopped tomatoes and some sliced red pepper to it. (The fromage frais was my missing ingredient as you probably noticed) It was really nice and made another 3 portions for me to freeze and have another time. (E does not “do” beef stews of any description!) I also served it with Asda’s Smartprice golden vegetable rice, which is about 25p a pack and is also free on Slimming World! (good old Asda)